Building  Department & Zoning

About the Building and Zoning Departments

The Building Official is responsible for reviewing construction plans, issuing and approving permits, and conducting inspections of construction in progress to ensure compliance with State/Uniform Building codes and local ordinances.

What many people do not realize is that most home improvements require building, electrical, mechanical, plumbing and or zoning permits. The primary reason for this requirement is to ensure that structures are built safely, and in conformance with current codes and local ordinances, but it also helps to ensure that residential contractors are held responsible for their workmanship.

Building Department

Attention Contractors!!! Registration and $15.00 annual fee are required with a copy of your license.

Permits can be applied for in person or on line.  If you would like to apply and pay for a permit online, you may do so by clicking the link below.

Building Department Forms/Permits/Applications

Online Permits

Online Payment for Permit

Frequently Asked Building Questions

Example of Economical Flood Vent

New and Replacement Fence Guidelines
Installation of Permanent above or below ground Swimming Pool

Zoning Ordinance, Section 17.02 CC, Recreation 6; Private Swimming Pool


Attached Accessory Structure Guidelines

Zoning Ordinance, Section 5.03 B; Attached Accessory Buildings

*Also see Schedule of Regulations for setback requirements; Zoning Ordinance Article 16


Detached Accessory Structure Guidelines

Zoning Ordinance, Section 5.03 C; Detached Accessory Buildings

*Also see Schedule of Regulations for setback requirements; Zoning Ordinance Article 16


Frequently Asked Zoning Questions

Recreational Vehicle Storage

Zoning Ordinance, Section 5.15; Storage of Recreational Equipment

Storage of recreational vehicles in a non-conforming area is allowed for a period of no longer than two weeks with the completion of the following permit application.

Zoning Application - RV/Equipment Permit
Blight Control Ordinance
Noxious Weeds Ordinance

Tall Grass/Noxious Weeds- Noxious Weeds Ordinance

180 State Park Dr.
Bay City, MI 48706

(989) 684-8931
Glenn Rowley

(989) 684-8041
Dawn Bublitz

(989) 684-8531
Karie Wardynski

Township Trustees
Trustee Tracy Koch
Trustee Diane Yaworski
Trustee Ed LaPlant
Trustee Brian Taylor

Building Department:
(989) 684-5427

Assessing Office:
(989) 684-7100

Township Information

Contact Us:

180 State Park Drive, Bay City, Michigan  48706

(989) 684-8931

Supervisor - Glenn Rowley                         Clerk - Dawn Bublitz                         Treasurer - Karie Wardynski




A boat launch access site is located at 1600 Martin Street, Bay City.

Annual and daily passes are available. 

Daily Parking/Boat Launch……………………………………………………………. $5.00
Annual Boat Launch Pass (Bangor Township Resident)………………………… $25.00
Annual Boat Launch Pass (Non Bangor Township Resident)…………………… $35.00

For additional information call 989-684-8531.